Students Prepare for Future Careers Through 6V电影网 Internship Program

Image of tack board with student photos tacked onto it

More than 80 6V电影网 students gained practical experience in their fields of study through the this summer. Through PCIP, students access valuable work placements that not only enhance their resumes but also provide real-world applications of their academic knowledge.

PCIP provides generous stipends so they can take advantage of unpaid or low-paying internships. Stipend amounts range from $4,000 to $5,000 for each student depending on if the internship is remote, in-person or hybrid. These stipends can be used for housing, transportation and food.

This summer, students explored careers in healthcare, politics, journalism, art and more.

Sydney Cottrell 鈥26

Cottrell returned to her hometown of Portland, and interned for the , a nonpartisan political organization that aims to influence public policy through education and advocacy. A politics major with a double minor in history and music, Cottrell was introduced to the organization through the club helmed by Professor of Politics Amanda Hollis-Brusky.

During her internship she worked on voter guides and surveys, did youth outreach to area colleges, attended two citizen naturalization ceremonies and helped register voters. She also enjoyed walking with the organization in the Portland Rose Festival Grand Parade.

鈥淚鈥檝e gotten to work very closely with the voter service chair here in Portland doing different projects that help with the preparation for the 2024 election. I also got to learn more about local politics which is something I really liked,鈥 Cottrell says. 鈥淚t鈥檚 cool to be able to see the work of the league members and how most of them are volunteers. They鈥檙e just working because they want to make the world a better place.鈥

JJ Hoffman 鈥26

Hoffman also explored the world of politics this summer interning for , representative of California鈥檚 32nd Congressional District in the Los Angeles area. Hoffman, a public policy analysis major, pursued this internship to better understand politics and public service and spent time answering phone calls from constituents, giving him insight on issues that concerned citizens.

鈥淐onstituents call, and you can really hear their frustration on the phone. I鈥檝e grown in being more politically aware and engaged. When I answer the phone, I must be knowledgeable about the congressman鈥檚 positions as well as current events. And that motivated me to be more engaged in politics,鈥 Hoffman says.

Hoffman is on the pre-med track and would like to explore a career in public health. He says his internship experience allowed him to better recognize what it means to be a public servant and the importance of understanding the needs of a community.

鈥淚 really enjoyed interacting with constituents. I think that鈥檚 one of the best ways to get to know one鈥檚 community,鈥 Hoffman says.

Eliza Powers 鈥25

Powers served as an editorial intern for , a feminist periodical co-founded in 1971 by journalist and activist Gloria Steinem. The nonprofit publication covers issues such as reproductive freedom, Title IX and women in politics. Powers, a double major in English and religious studies, worked remotely for the publication doing research, editing and writing.

Powers writes for the Claremont Colleges student newspaper and used her internship to hone her journalistic skills and expand her knowledge of social justice issues that are important to her.

鈥淪omething that鈥檚 really important at 6V电影网 is the sense of intellectual curiosity and how we can use our academic experience to address social justice issues,鈥 Powers says. 鈥淚t was good to learn about how to use facts and news to advocate for things that I鈥檓 passionate about rather than just opinions. That was very challenging but rewarding.鈥

Her time with Ms. Magazine further fueled her passion for writing. Powers hopes to utilize these skills and experience as she pursues a Ph.D. in religion.

Aja Trice 鈥25

Trice, an art major, traveled to Dakar, Senegal to intern with , a multidisciplinary artist-in-residence program founded by artist Kehinde Wiley. The program brings artists from around the world to live and work together.

Trice assisted in local art programming and helped the artists in the residency program set up exhibits and events, which included doing English and French translation work. The experience of working behind the curtain of the fine art world affirmed her desire to be an artist and creator.

鈥淚 learned a lot about what鈥檚 happening in the background of arts administration spaces and in the art world. Because I am an artist, I would have loved to have my work being shown in the exhibition,鈥 Trice says. 鈥淚 learned a lot about myself and what type of work I鈥檓 capable of doing and that arts administration may not be the route for me.鈥

With a new perspective on her future career, Trice would like to explore teaching or assisting in an art studio. She is grateful for her eight weeks abroad.

鈥淭he international element was important to me, for the cultural, immersive experience. My French got much better. I have so many friends. And I鈥檝e gotten over my fears of living abroad and being abroad alone,鈥 Trice says.

Jonathan Varcados 鈥27

Varcados clocked more than 300 hours working at , a public hospital in his hometown of Houston. Varcados plans to major in neuroscience with the hopes of becoming a doctor.

He assisted healthcare workers as they treated patients, performing such tasks as moving patients around the hospital for testing, answering phones, setting up equipment and training volunteers.

While there were challenges working in a busy hospital environment, Varcados appreciated being able to build strong connections with healthcare professionals and the patients they served. His time in the hospital showed him how meaningful compassion and respect are in the healthcare field.

鈥淚t doesn鈥檛 go unnoticed if you truly care about every single person, have a passion for something and want to help,鈥 Varcados says. 鈥淧CIP allows you to pursue your passions instead of having to pursue money and is one of the many things that makes 6V电影网 unique.鈥

During an Intensive Summer Experience Poster Conference to be held on campus on September 26, students funded for PCIP will share with the college community a report of what they learned, created or achieved through their work.